Ms Rempel is young, socially progressive, telegenic, active in the House and on social media … can she be the one to unseat Justin Trudeau?
Some commentators think that she, based on her age and less than perfect French skills, is waiting for either:
- The current field to winnow itself down; or, more likely
- For 2020 or ’21, when Justin Trudeau might still be prime minister, even if the Conservatives elect a good leader, just because Canadians will want to give him two terms.
I have speculated before that a Conservative Party led by a moderate like Ms Rempel could gain the magical 50% of popular support that hasn’t been done since Mulroney (and not since Diefenbaker before him ~ it’s a level that none of Pierre Trudeau, Jean Chrétien or Stephen Harper even achieved).
Anyway, what do my conservative readers say? Is Ms Rempel a good choice (I know she’s anathema to the social-conservative wing after her “triumphalism” at the policy convention) …
… but, is she the one? Can she:
- Unite the party (95% of it anyway) behind her?
- Develop a winning platform that deals, prudently, progressively, moderately and responsibly ~ the way Canadians want ~ with a vast range of fiscal, social, economic, trade, foreign policy, transportation, infrastructure, environmental, law and order and defence related issues?
- Convince many (ideally most) Canadians that she is a better, more responsible, more likeable leader than Justin Trudeau? in short
- Beat Justin Trudeau in 2019?